- Heat a little lemon-infused rapeseed oil in a wok or deep frying pan. Add the finely chopped rhubarb and root ginger to stir fry a few minutes.
- Add a handful of soft brown sugar along with the orange juice and rind, and stir well.
- Quickly stir in the chopped fresh strawberries and a shot of gin or whisky, heat and flambé to caramelise the flavours. These will soften quickly.
- Pour into a deep serving dish to await the topping.
- Melt the butter and mix till bubbling with the Demerara sugar. Toss in the oats and seeds and mix, stirring all the time until sizzling then immediately scatter over the fruits. This is a very quick method – make sure you don’t overcook it because the oats will burn and taste bitter. I know it happened to me!!
- Serve and enjoy with local ice cream or cream.
This desert keeps well and is good cold too.
Any red soft fruits are good in this recipe. Try chopped nectarines, peaches and plums in season.
The topping keeps well in an airtight container and can be used on any fruits, to make a crumble in the oven or with yoghurt.
The fruit also makes a nice topping on a fresh fruit cream cake.