This recipe is one of the winners of the Scottish Women’s Institutes’ 2021 Christmas biscuit competition. They are great with the chocolate ‘tree’ topping at Christmas’ or leave out the Christmas sprinkles, or add in some chocolate chips at other times of the year.
The mixture makes around 16 biscuits.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°Fan/350°F/Gas 4.
- Lightly grease two large baking trays.
- Melt the butter and syrup over a medium heat.
- Measure all the other ingredients together in a large bowl, mix thoroughly, then add the butter and syrup and stir to combine.
- Take a spoonful of the mixture and squash together into a ball.
- Place on the baking sheet and press each ball down lightly with your thumb, leaving some room between biscuits to spread slightly.
- Bake for around 18 minutes, then remove from the oven. Leave on the baking tray for three minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- When the biscuits have cooled, melt the chocolate, then spread into a triangle shape on each biscuit, and decorate with Christmas sprinkles.
Elaine Slinn’s winning recipe was adapted from a recipe from SWI Ross-shire Federation’s Annual Bulb and Baking Show