We really love this recipe which was one of the winners in the Hamlyns Home Baking competition. Thanks to Kimberley from Irvine for sharing it with us.
They’re lovely eaten warm from the oven when the Nutella is still slightly warm, or if you have the willpower, leave them to go completely cold and make them into ice cream sandwiches with a scoop of vanilla ice cream sandwiched between two biscuits.
Preheat oven to 170c/150 fan/gas 5
- Grease two baking trays or line with baking paper.
- Sieve flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and add the sugar and porridge oats.
- Melt the butter/margarine with the syrup in a pot over a low heat.
- Pour the melted butter/syrup mixture over the dry ingredients along with the warm water and stir the mixture well to bring it together.
- Turn the mixture out on to a worktop. Shape the mixture into a log shape and cut in half, then cut each half into eight equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball in your hands and place on a baking tray (8 on each tray) leaving some room to spread.
- Make a small dent in each ball, put a small blob of Nutella into the ball, then re-shape the ball covering most of the Nutella with the biscuit mixture.
- Flatten each biscuit lightly with a fork.
- Bake for 12-15 mins until golden brown.
- Leave the biscuits on the trays for a few minutes to firm before transferring to a wire tray to cool.