Preheat oven to 230°C/210 Fan/450°F/Gas 8
- Mix the dry ingredients together, then rub in the butter or margarine until they resemble breadcrumbs
- Mix in the grated cheese, keeping a little aside to sprinkle onto the top of the scones before baking.
- Add the milk and egg to make a softish dough. If you are making the scones in a food processor, you will need less milk.
- Knead lightly, and either divide the dough into two rounds and mark into quarters, or cut into rounds with a cutter.
- Brush any leftover milk and egg onto the tops, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes.
- Enjoy while still warm.
Note – if you don’t have oatmeal you can use porridge oats, quickly whizzed in a food processor.