- Turn on the oven at 200C (180C fan) 400F, Gas 6.
- Oil and line two round tins.
- Sift the flours into a bowl and add the other dry ingredients.
- Beat the oil, egg and milk together and mix into the dry ingredients to make soft dough.
- Cut the dough into two and divide between the tins, dust with flour and pat to spread flat over the tins.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until risen, set and pale golden.
- If you’re using this as a pizza base, spread with 3 tablespoons of tomato puree, pizza topping or tomato chutney, followed by the topping of your choice. Cover with cheese before baking.
- Bake for a further 5 to 8 minutes till bubbling.
Serve with a green salad.
You can make the bases in advance and freeze them.
The warm base also makes a great bread accompaniment for soups.