Preheat oven to 325F, 170C, 150 Fan, Gas 3
Grease and line a 38 x 25 cm deep baking tray
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Rub in the margarine, then stir in the sugar and the oats.
- Transfer a quarter of the mixture into a small bowl. Chop up the chocolate and add to this bowl.
- Stir the egg into the remaining mixture in the large bowl. Press into a deep tray and bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Mix condensed milk and peanut butter together. Pour this over the base, sprinkle the chocolate mixture on top and press down.
- Return to the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then when cold cut into squares.
This was one of the winning recipes in our ‘Afternoon Treats’ competition, which we ran with the Scottish Women’s Institutes.
We were overwhelmed with the number of entries, and were delighted with the five winning recipes, selected by National Judge, Jennifer Durno and her team. Many thanks to everyone who entered, and congratulations to our winners.