- To make the oat flour, simply put your porridge oats into a blender and pulse until you have a flour-like consistency.
- Mix the oat flour and buttermilk together and leave aside for around 15 minutes, so the oat flour absorbs the buttermilk.
- Lightly beat the eggs whisk in to the flour and buttermilk mix together with the baking powder, sugar, and any other spices or flavours if you are using them, and whisk everything together until thoroughly combined. Your batter should be the consistency of thickish cream.
- Heat a frying pan or skillet on a medium heat until hot, grease with butter, then add your pancake batter – we used an ice cream scoop full of batter per pancake.
- Cook the first side until you start to see bubbles on the top (this will take around a minute and a half), then flip over with a pallet knife to cook the other side until golden brown. The second side usually takes much less time than the first side.
- Enjoy with fresh fruit and maple syrup, or butter and jam, or any other toppings you enjoy.
This recipe should make three generous-sized pancakes for four people.