This recipe was created by Ella from Orpington in Kent for the Hamlyns Home Baking competition.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/180Fan/Gas 6
- Put 150g butter, 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 70g Demerara sugar, 25g maple syrup into a pan with a 1/4tsp of salt and stir until melted over a low to medium heat.
- To make the roasted maple pecans, coat 40g of shelled pecans in maple syrup, sprinkle with a little salt and cinnamon and roast on a baking tray lined with baking paper in the oven for 10 minutes, turning half way through. Then remove from the oven and turn the oven down to 150C/130 Fan/Gas 2.
- Break the pecans into small pieces and combine with the melted butter mixture and the porridge oats. Save a small handful of pecans for the topping if you are making it.
- Spoon and firmly press down the mixture into a square cake tin lined with baking paper, or four round flapjacks, press into baking rings.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then remove from the oven, and after five mintues, transfer to a wire rack and score into eight portions, then leave to cool completely.
- If you are making the optional chocolate drizzle, put the white chocolate or dark chocolate and maple syrup over a bain-marie and stir until melted.
- Drizzle over the flapjacks and sprinkle over a small handful of the toasted shelled pecans.