This recipe makes 12-18 buns, depending on size.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160 Fan/350F/Gas 4
- Oil two baking trays.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then stir in the oats, sugar and lemon rind.
- Mix in the beaten egg and milk to make a stiffish dough.
- Gently roll the dough into small balls the size of a walnut and place on trays.
- Using a clean thumb dipped in warm water make a thumbprint in the top of each bun deep enough to hold a teaspoon of raspberry jam, then add a teaspoon of jam into each thumbprint.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden and the jam is bubbling.
- Cool a little on the tray and then on a wire rack.
Make sure that the jam is cool before eating them.
You can try drizzling these with a lemon water icing. If you prefer, you can omit the lemon rind, or try with other jams – apricot and strawberry jam, lemon curd or even Nutella all work well.