- Mix the ingredients together in a deep bowl, cover with clingfilm and place into the lowest shelf in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead lightly for a few minutes then shape into a long fat loaf.
- Lay onto an oiled baking tray and leave to prove in a warm place until doubled in size – this should take 20-30 minutes.
- While the loaf is proving, heat the oven to 220C/200 fan/425F/Gas 7.
- When the dough has risen, dust with a little oatmeal, then bake for 20 minutes in the hot oven until crisp on top and the loaf sounds hollow when knocked on the base. If required reduce the oven heat to 180C/160 fan/350F/Gas 4 and bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes to make sure the bread is baked through.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy freshly baked.
This loaf freezes well. You can slice it before freezing then just remove the amount you need to save waste.
You can also use the dough to make two smaller loaves which will bake more quickly – baking should take around 10 to 15 minutes.